has granted a second 75-day extension to run in the US - days after suggesting he'd use the app as a bargaining tool for sweeter relations with .
The extension will allow TikTok to comply with a law that requires the hugely popular video app to either sell its US operation or face a ban in the country. Mr Trump insisted he did not want TikTok, which has more than 170 million users in the US, to "go dark" before he signed the executive order today.
Recently, the US President suggested . He set tariffs on Wednesday but nothing was mentioned of TikTok in relation to China's tariffs.
Writing on his Truth Social platform today, Mr Trump said: "My Administration has been working very hard on a Deal to SAVE TIKTOK, and we have made tremendous progress. The Deal requires more work to ensure all necessary approvals are signed, which is why I am signing an Executive Order to keep TikTok up and running for an additional 75 days... We look forward to working with TikTok and China to close the deal."
READ MORE:
There was a suggestion Elon Musk, Mr Trump's longtime friend, would buy TikTok earlier this year. However, such talk was shattered when .
Speaking in January, Mr Trump said: "With a permit, it is worth like a trillion dollars. So what I'm thinking about saying to somebody is 'buy it, and give half to the United States of America, half and we will give you the permit'. They'll have a great partner in the United States, and they'll have something that is actually more valuable because they'll have the ultimate partner and the United States will make it worthwhile for them in terms of the permit and everything else."
ByteDance, based in Beijing, China, owns TikTok after developing the software for release in 2016. It has since become one of the world's most popular social media platforms, using recommendation algorithms to connect content creators and influencers with new audiences.
A spokesperson for ByteDance confirmed in a statement that the company has been discussing a “potential solution” with the US government but noted that an “agreement has not been executed.” It added: "There are key matters to be resolved... Any agreement will be subject to approval under Chinese law."
Mr Trump announced wide-ranging tariffs around the globe, including against China, this week. His trade war sent economies down the pan on Thursday, and .
You may also like
Tulsi Kumar and Kaifi Khalil deliver a soulful number 'Fitrat'
Manoj Kumar's co-actor Zeenat Aman pens emotional note for him
Tamil fantasy-thriller 'Kingston' OTT release date announced. Here is when and where to watch
Punjab: Sarpanches, nambardars, councilors set to verify certificates
The incredible mega-city with 5 million people known as 'the capital of Africa'