Panama is seeking to preserve a “respectful, transparent and mutually beneficial” relationship with the United States, even as US President Donald Trump repeats threats to retake control of the Panama Canal , foreign minister Javier Martinez-Acha said on Saturday, according to the news agency AFP.
His remarks came ahead of a scheduled visit by US defense secretary Pete Hegseth, who will arrive in Panama next week to attend the 2025 Central American Security Conference . The visit has taken on added significance after Trump’s recent claims of Chinese interference in canal operations, and his insistence that the US should never have given up the waterway.
In a post on X following a call with US deputy secretary of state Christopher Landau, Martinez-Acha wrote, “I reiterated that all cooperation from Panama will take place under the framework of our constitution, our laws, and the Canal Neutrality Treaty.”
He added that issues like “illegal migration, organized crime, drug trafficking” were also discussed in what he described as “a cordial and constructive exchange.”
According to the US state department, Landau expressed appreciation for Panama’s help in drastically cutting down illegal migration through the dangerous Darien jungle, by nearly 98 per cent.
Panama has denied Trump’s suggestion that China holds sway over the canal. As reported by AFP, Martinez-Acha highlighted the recent sale of a Hong Kong-based company’s port operations in Panama to US investment firm BlackRock, a move seen as reducing any potential Chinese footprint in the canal’s vicinity. Panama’s comptroller has launched an audit of the Hong Kong firm, CK Hutchison, which previously operated the ports of Balboa and Cristobal at either end of the waterway.
The BlackRock-led acquisition includes control over 43 ports in 23 countries, including the two near the Panama Canal. The deal, scheduled to close on April 2, is still awaiting final approval, while Chinese regulators have launched a probe into the transaction, reported AP.
The US and China are the largest users of the canal, which carries about five percent of global maritime trade. Built by the United States and inaugurated in 1914, it was handed over to Panama in 1999 under the 1977 treaty signed by then-President Jimmy Carter.
Trump has repeatedly criticised the treaty, saying Carter “foolishly” gave the canal away.
Despite rising tensions, Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said Hegseth’s trip aims to reinforce “ongoing efforts to strengthen our partnerships with Panama and other Central American nations toward our shared vision for a peaceful and secure Western Hemisphere.”
His remarks came ahead of a scheduled visit by US defense secretary Pete Hegseth, who will arrive in Panama next week to attend the 2025 Central American Security Conference . The visit has taken on added significance after Trump’s recent claims of Chinese interference in canal operations, and his insistence that the US should never have given up the waterway.
In a post on X following a call with US deputy secretary of state Christopher Landau, Martinez-Acha wrote, “I reiterated that all cooperation from Panama will take place under the framework of our constitution, our laws, and the Canal Neutrality Treaty.”
Reiteré que toda cooperación de Panamá se dará bajo el marco de nuestra Constitución, nuestras leyes y el Tratado de Neutralidad del Canal. Las relaciones con EE.UU. deben seguir siendo respetuosas, transparentes y de beneficio mutuo para ambas naciones. pic.twitter.com/Q5mdk8YKZa
— Javier Martínez-Acha Vásquez (@javierachapma) April 5, 2025
He added that issues like “illegal migration, organized crime, drug trafficking” were also discussed in what he described as “a cordial and constructive exchange.”
According to the US state department, Landau expressed appreciation for Panama’s help in drastically cutting down illegal migration through the dangerous Darien jungle, by nearly 98 per cent.
Panama has denied Trump’s suggestion that China holds sway over the canal. As reported by AFP, Martinez-Acha highlighted the recent sale of a Hong Kong-based company’s port operations in Panama to US investment firm BlackRock, a move seen as reducing any potential Chinese footprint in the canal’s vicinity. Panama’s comptroller has launched an audit of the Hong Kong firm, CK Hutchison, which previously operated the ports of Balboa and Cristobal at either end of the waterway.
The BlackRock-led acquisition includes control over 43 ports in 23 countries, including the two near the Panama Canal. The deal, scheduled to close on April 2, is still awaiting final approval, while Chinese regulators have launched a probe into the transaction, reported AP.
The US and China are the largest users of the canal, which carries about five percent of global maritime trade. Built by the United States and inaugurated in 1914, it was handed over to Panama in 1999 under the 1977 treaty signed by then-President Jimmy Carter.
Trump has repeatedly criticised the treaty, saying Carter “foolishly” gave the canal away.
Despite rising tensions, Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said Hegseth’s trip aims to reinforce “ongoing efforts to strengthen our partnerships with Panama and other Central American nations toward our shared vision for a peaceful and secure Western Hemisphere.”
You may also like
Maharashtra: Over 26,000 Anganwadi Centres Still Lack Toilet Facilities, Reveals Govt Data
Reliance and BLAST team up to shake up India's esports scene
Antiques Roadshow expert hits out over 'junk' item as he reveals very low valuation
Ruben Amorim fires back at Gary Neville after brutal Manchester derby rant
Odisha sculptor wins first ever prize at international sand festival in Weymouth