Next Story
Newszop

K-Pop show mired in child exploitation controversy

Send Push
Facing fierce backlash for what critics condemned as the sexualization of children in their early teens, the producers of South Korea's "Under15" K-Pop audition show canceled the series shortly before its scheduled premiere on Monday evening.

In a statement on March 28, the Crea Studio production company said: "After deep consideration, we have decided that it will be best to cancel the scheduled broadcast and focus on protecting the participants and reorganizing the program."

"Moving forward, we will do our best to produce the program in a way that ensures the essence of the show is not damaged while making sure the sincerity of the participants is properly delivered," it added.

Given the anger aimed at Maeil Broadcasting Network (MBN) immediately after it released the first teasers for the new series, media analysts say the producers had little choice but to apply the brakes.

The show was marketed as a "K-Pop prodigy discovery initiative" and closely followed 59 young girls — all aged 15 or younger — as they competed to become the industry's next star.

"Promoting younger artists is not, of course, new in the entertainment industry," said Chuyun Oh, assistant professor of dance theory at San Diego State University and author of the book "K-Pop Dance."

Controversy over marketing children

"But one of the reasons this program has attracted controversy is that it explicitly advocates the girls' age, as the title implies, as a source of marketing," she told DW.

"Some of the audience — TV and online — are not happy about the show, including parents and teachers," Oh added.

"Their major concern is that the participants are minors but their dance, including movement, costume, facial expressions and so on are too mature as the girls would be replicating the choreography of the original K-Pop girl groups."

K-Pop frequently attracts criticism from some quarters over lyrics, moves or performances that are overly graphic.

For example, K-Pop star Jennie Kim was effectively canceled in South Korea after a particularly raunchy performance on HBO's series "The Idol." In another instance, CU, a singer with DimePiece, experienced a wardrobe malfunction during a live performance in 2017 and revealed too much.

For some in conservative South Korea, the sexualization of girls in their early teens on "Under15" was too much — and made worse by the girls' ages being highlighted on promotional posters in a barcode design that critics said reduced the girls to objects.

'Packaged and sold'

"It is not just a question of the sexuality of these girls being promoted that is causing problems, but the idea that they are products being packaged and sold," said David Tizzard, an assistant professor of education at Seoul Women's University and a columnist for a Korean daily focusing on social affairs.

"When it is adults that are being packaged in this way, then it is less of a problem," he added. "But because they are young, this is much more sensitive," he told DW.

He emphasizes, however, that using "sex to sell" is not new in South Korea or anywhere else in the world.

"BoA, sometimes called the 'Queen of K-Pop,' was 13 when she started out. But how old was Michael Jackson when he started performing? Or Britney Spears?" he asked.

"It could be argued that we live in a society that is a paradox of freedom at the same time that it is hyper moralistic."

Part of the problem for the producers of "Under15," he suggested, has been unfortunate timing.

In early March, media reports emerged that actor Kim Soo-hyun, 37, had dated actress Kim Sae-ron when she was 15 and a minor.

Kim Sae-ron was one of the most promising young performers in South Korea but she died by suicide in February at the age of 24.

Her parents have gone public with accusations that Kim Soo-hyun groomed their daughter, triggering a fierce backlash against the previously popular actor.

Kim Soo-hyun gave a tearful press conference of his own on Monday, confirming that the two had dated but claimed their relationship had only started after Kim Sae-ron had legally become an adult.

"I cannot admit something that I did not do," Kim told massed ranks of the media in Seoul. "I feel sorry that the late actress is not able to rest in peace."

'Entertainment industry is fascinated by youth'

Tizzard said Korean society "has been rocked by the suicide of Kim Sae-ron and now all the allegations that Kim Soo-hyun was dating her when she was still a minor, which perhaps puts what is happening with 'Under15' into greater context.

"People are hyper-sensitive about under-age girls in the K-Pop industry right now."

However, given that there will always be demand for the next fresh face on the K-Pop scene, there is little doubt that the industry will act to supply it.

"As anyone can imagine, the entertainment industry, from fashion to film, is fascinated by youth," said Oh. "K-pop is no exception as the younger they are, the more youthful their bodies are. And because K-pop is driven by dance performances, a physical activity, youth plays an even more significant role in boosting artists' charm, and therefore, their commercial value in the capitalist market."
Loving Newspoint? Download the app now